Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    mathias
    Keymaster

My flight gets in at 11:40 pm. Not sure I want to drive at night on an island I am not familiar with. Plan to find the closest hotel to the airport, but not sure where that is. The next day I will go back to the airport and rent a car. What hotel or bungalow do you recommend near the kite beach. I will only be there a couple of days, looking at a boat, but want to kite.
    Thanks,
    John

mathias
    Keymaster

Hi John,

If you have a GPS you can drive by night too. Without – i would do what you wrote. Stay at the Airport and pick up the car in the morning. I hardly speak french and when we arrive i really felt lost. My Austrian Mobilephone Operator didn’t work over there and my credit cards got rejected for whatever reason at the airport :O. If you speak french that should be fine.

If you want to live near to the kite beach you should try http://cases-mabouya.com/. This is near Ponte Faula – the main kitespot. From this appartement, i think you can walk to the beach…
    Have fun, Martinique is really a beautiful place to stay!
    Mathias

• This reply was modified 10 years, 6 months ago by mathias.
    • This reply was modified 10 years, 4 months ago by mathias.
    mathias
    Keymaster

Thanks for the help. I don’t speak French, but plan to learn as many phrases possible before I leave on the 28th. The last Caribbean Island I visited (Grenada) had lousy GPS. Many of the directions were incorrect. I sure hope the GPS is more accurate on Martinique.
    Thanks for the rental car tip. I think they are going to take me to the hotel and deliver the car.

mathias
    Keymaster

The guys from the car-rental i wrote on this page are really nice. i got the car from them when i was there. I have an android phone and downloaded martinique through google maps to my phone. so it worked without 3G Internet and i had a map of the whole island. i used it throughout the 3 weeks i spent on the island and it worked always fine. but i was too picked up by the rental guys at the airport and they showed me the way to the car. afterwards, the guys from makaree lagoon club came to the car rental to show us the way to the appartement in the night. so this was full service :)

mathias
    Keymaster

I almost forgot the most important question. I only have room for one kite and board. I assume I will be safe with a 14m, and light wind board?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.